Subject: Re: netatalk and pkg/9948
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/2000 23:55:21
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> writes:
> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> > Well, nothing becomes "live" unless you actually fire up atalkd.  The
> > actual example config files are mostly empty save for comments.  This
> > is just like what happens when samba, ssh, and cups are installed.
> > The pkg admin is also told when pkg_deleting netatalk to optionally
> > delete /etc/netatalk if it's no longer necessary.
>
> Yes, but if you fire up atalkd, the standard rc.atalk will fire up the
> daemons which use these files too. :-) Also, while they are mostly empty,
> they are not 100% empty. AppleVolumes.default turns on "~" export support
> by default.

I'm not sure how what you're saying differs from what I said above.
The config files are put in the right place, but no netatalk daemons
are started automatically -- you have to actually (optionally)
configure and start the service yourself.  So what's bad about putting
the default netatalk config in place for people who just want the
default?

> > Well, that's why the admin is asked to _merge_ the old config files
> > into the ones at the new locations.  I think this is better than
> > blindly copying them, in case someone does decide to upgrade to a new
> > netatalk from an incompatible version sometime down the road.
>
> While I agree with your sentiment here, we aren't talking about upgrading
> across incompatible versions right now. :-) We're talking about upgrading
> across a change in how this package has behaved since its inception, a
> time over which the file format hasn't changed.
>
> I think it's perfectly fine to leave comments (perhaps very large) in the
> script saying that this behavior may need to change in the future. But for
> now, please just copy the files over.

That's a good point.  So perhaps the script should be more like:

if [ -f ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/atalkd.conf ]
then
    for file in \
        AppleVolumes.default \
        AppleVolumes.system \
        atalkd.conf \
        papd.conf
    do
        if [ ! -f /etc/netatalk/${file} -a -f ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/${file} ]
        then
            cp ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc/${file} /etc/netatalk/${file}
	    chmod 644 /etc/netatalk/${file}
        fi
    done
    cat << EOF
Old configuration files were copied from ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc to
/etc/netatalk.  You may want to remove the old files as they are no
longer necessary.
EOF
else
    for file in \
        AppleVolumes.default \
        AppleVolumes.system \
        atalkd.conf \
        papd.conf
    do
        if [ ! -f /etc/netatalk/${file} ]
        then
            cp ${PKG_PREFIX}/share/examples/netatalk/${file} \
		/etc/netatalk/${file}
	    chmod 644 /etc/netatalk/${file}
        fi
    done
fi

Is that what you envisioned?

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/