Subject: Re: netatalk and pkg/9948
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/2000 20:40:20
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com> writes:
> It probably would suffice, but I'm not sure I like it. We don't install
> files from examples into etc now, we let the admin set things up. I'm no
> sure how much is turned on in the current example files, but I'd like the
> admin to have to have looked at things before everything becomes live.

Well, nothing becomes "live" unless you actually fire up atalkd.  The
actual example config files are mostly empty save for comments.  This
is just like what happens when samba, ssh, and cups are installed.
The pkg admin is also told when pkg_deleting netatalk to optionally
delete /etc/netatalk if it's no longer necessary.

> Also, you don't look for a config file in ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc before
> installing sample config files. As the command syntax isn't changing with
> this package change, a file in ${PKG_PREFIX}/etc is much more likely to be
> the thing to install in ${ETCDIR} than a sample file. :-)

Well, that's why the admin is asked to _merge_ the old config files
into the ones at the new locations.  I think this is better than
blindly copying them, in case someone does decide to upgrade to a new
netatalk from an incompatible version sometime down the road.

I'm thinking that this is an acceptable solution to the problem -- no
config files are ever overwritten.  I'll commit it soonish unless
there are other objections.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/