Subject: Re: netatalk and pkg/9948
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/12/2000 15:22:58
On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
>
> >         I'm looking to address pkg/9948 which complains that
> > host-specific config files are being stored in /usr/pkg/etc, which is
> > supposed to be a shareable directory.  I'm changing netatalk to look
> > for config files in /etc/netatalk instead of /usr/pkg/etc.  This is
> > similar to how net/samba and security/sudo deal with host-specific
> > config files.
> >
> > 	Is this change acceptable?  Will this cause an unacceptable
> > amount of pain for current users of net/netatalk?
>
> I think we should do something to help upgrading users. Say a post-install
> script which checks to see if config files are in /usr/pkg/etc and not
> /etc/netatalk. If so, it either copies them, or says that the admin should
> copy them.

and if they do exist, print a message like "configuration files already
exist, please verify they work with this version of pkg-##" or something
like that.

We really do need a good and documented way of installing sample config
files, not md5'ing config files that the user must change and not deleting
config files that a user may have spent some time configuring.

-Dan