Subject: Re: pkgdiff -- tools for easier pkgsrc patch creation and maintenance
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org, packages@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/08/2000 00:54:25
[ On Wednesday, July 5, 2000 at 09:29:27 (-0400), Kimmo Suominen wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: pkgdiff -- tools for easier pkgsrc patch creation and maintenance
>
> The problem with a single patch is that you need to regenerate all the
> diffs even if you only change one file.

which is why the scripts were written...  :-)

> Also, if anyone has dreams of how this would allow different "features"
> distributed as separate patches -- well, it is not a dream, it is rather
> a nightmare if you try it that way...

Note that there's no reason why separate features can't be split into
separate patch files (though I don't know of anything that needs this
right now -- is there something I've not yet encountered?).  I'm only
proposing that the common always needed patches be kept in one file.

Indeed there needs to be support for fetching and applying both
"distribution patches" (i.e. third-party patches fetched at build time)
as well support for applying local patches.

--
							Greg A. Woods