Subject: Openssh package problem?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeff Rizzo <riz@boogers.sf.ca.us>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 07/05/2000 11:25:53
There seems to be an issue with the openssh package;  it could very well
be that I just don't know what I'm doing.  :)

At any rate, I'm not sure it could ever work the way it seems to be
intended to:

-if /usr/include/openssl/rsa.h exists (my current situation), then
 it seems to assume it's using the OpenSSL integrated into the main system.
 However, when doing this (i.e., not compiling the separate openssl pkg),
 the configure in openssh fails, apparently because the libcrypto supplied
 with NetBSD (via the integrated openssl) does not contain the
 functions RAND_add and RAND_status.  The libcrypto installed with the
 openssl package *does*.

I opened a PR (pkg/10501) when I initially had problems with the
openssh pkg not finding /usr/pkg/include/openssh/rsa.h when compiling
it on a system *without* /usr/include/openssl/rsa.h, (it had the openssl
pkg), but then I compiled it on a hybrid system which had both
/usr/include/openssl/rsa.h *and* the openssl pkg, so I assumed pilot error.
Today, however, I've been trying to use it on a system with
/usr/include/openssl/rsa.h but no openssl pkg, and have had trouble.

I would be happy to update the PR with a (more) correct way of handling
this, but what's the best way?  Should openssh force the installation
of openssl, to get the missing functions?  Should NetBSD's libcrypto
be updated to include those functions?  Am I completely off-base,
and should I go away now?  :)

Any input apprectiated.
+j

--