Subject: Re: sup question
To: Mark <marquedej@onebox.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/29/2000 18:58:25
On Thu, 29 Jun 2000, Mark wrote:
> The first road-block I've run into with sup is that I get the following
> error:
>
>   SUP 8.26 (4.3 BSD) for system software at Jun 29 02:18:38
>   SUP: Can't find my host entry
>
> I'm not sure what that means or, more importantly, how to fix it.

It sounds like your /etc/hosts does not contain something translating the
IP-Number you're using, and/or that DNS isn't properly configured
(either). For the latter, you need to put "hosts: files dns" into
/etc/nsswitch.conf, and set up a /etc/resolv.conf.

As an alternative, you could use anonocvs to grab pkgsrc.
Or rsync.

> During my search for the answer, I came across references to various
> sup configuration files (/etc/coll.list /etc/coll.what /etc/coll.host
> /etc/coll.dir). However, I can find no documentation that indicates what,
> exactly, to put in these files and in what format.

Um, I don't think you need these files. :-)

I just copied /usr/share/examples/supfiles/sup.netbsd.org to
$HOME/supfile, removed all entried I didn't need, made /usr/sup (writable
as non-root-user), then typed:

	sup $HOME/supfile

It started spinning... :-)

 - Hubert

--
NetBSD - because Unix isn't just #include <linux.h>, i386, ILP32, ELF, ...!