Subject: pkgdiff -- tools for easier pkgsrc patch creation and maintenance
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Klausner <wiz@danbala.ifoer.tuwien.ac.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/28/2000 14:08:45
Hi!

Since today we have a new package in pkgsrc: pkgtools/pkgdiff. It
contains three programs:

pkgdiff creates a pkgsrc-compatible diff of its two arguments.

mkpatches creates patches for a whole package (by using pkgdiff) -- it
finds the files it should diff by looking for files with an '.orig'
extension, so if you edit a file and want to use mkpatches later,
first make a backup of it with `cp -p file file.orig'. mkpatches
should be run from the packages main directory (pkgsrc/foo/bar), and
the patches are then saved in the directory $WRKDIR/.newpatches.

patchdiff compares the results of mkpatches with the previously
existing patches in the patches-subdirectory.

If you create (or update) packages, please use (at least) pkgdiff from
this package, since this avoids the common problem with CVS Ids in
patches. Oh, and always use pkglint ;-)

Hope this proves useful,
 Thomas

--