Subject: Re: skill package changes for NetBSD >= 1.5
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/23/2000 13:41:05
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Oops, I meant to delete that from the non-new case as well - I can't
> > actually see where -DUVM is used.
> >
> > Hmm, in fact there's no reason that _any_ version of NetBSD needs to
> > use UVM or libkvm or setgid kmem - it can call sysctl() directly!  I'll
> > rewrite the bsd-44.c module altogether then...
>
> Please keep in mind that pkgsrc is also used on 1.3 systems still, so make
> sure you put in the right #ifdef's. :-)

No problems there - we've had user-available sysctls() to read process
info since Day 1 of NetBSD, so it should also work on NetBSD 0.8!  I'll
set things up so that if the newer process info sysctl() is available it
will be used - this means that skill won't need to be recompiled every
time some kernel internals (specifically 'struct proc') get changed.

Simon.