Subject: Re: USE_LIBTOOL and C++
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Nick Hudson <nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 06/21/2000 00:12:09
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Nick Hudson wrote:
>
> > "Johnny C. Lam" wrote:
> > >
> > > Our old pkglibtool, which is apparently now deprecated, had a new
> > > option "--cplusplus" to link in cr++t.o with C++ libraries to ensure
> > > that global static contructors were called at the proper time.  Is
> > > this no longer necessary?  If not, then we can't change any of the C++
> > > library packages to USE_LIBTOOL, e.g. devel/boost, */kde*, x11/qt*.
> >
> > I've pretty much done the work for */kde* x11/qt* - just doing one
> > last build. I should mention that I can only test i386 (a.out and ELF)
> >
> > Where --cplusplus exists I've just removed it.
>
> and do the binaries work?

Not the first time I tried on ELF! This was a problem with rpath
options.

I'm pretty sure that I've had a QT2.1.0 example binary working. Problem
is I can't remember if that was on ELF/a.out. I was just about to commit
QT-2.1.1 with a minor fix for the .la file, but I'll do some more
checks.

C++ isn't officially supported by libtool, but the KDE guys have been
using it for ages so I guess they manage to avoid the pitfalls of
libtool's
C++ support.

> -Dan

Nick