Subject: Re: libtool update path
To: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/31/2000 09:05:24
On Wed, 31 May 2000, Dr. Rene Hexel wrote:

>   I would therefore like to propose a different solution: instead of
> immediately switching all these packages to the new libtool, we
> s/USE_LIBTOOL/USE_PKGLIBTOOL/ in all packages and bsd.pkg.mk, and add a
> new USE_LIBTOOL that depends on the new libtool package.  This way, we
> can immediately use the new libtool for new packages, and fade out
> pkglibtool more slowly (read: within the precious little time budgets we
> all have available).

Yes, I like that idea. Please do it!

It was hoped that new packages that use libtool-1.3.4 wouldn't need
any special attention at all, but see PR's pkg/9902, and pkg/10106.
I'm still trying to wrap my mind around how that happened, but the
assertion in 9902, that the test for ELFness is backwards in ltconfig,
looks correct to me. If so, we're going to need a USE_{PKG}LIBTOOL for
quite some time.