Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/19/2000 21:58:57
On Fri, May 19, 2000 at 03:21:57PM -0700, Greywolf wrote:

> I still think /usr/local should be a separate space.  It's easier to find
> the third-party stuff that way.

Yeah. I agree with that. /usr/local is still a good place to be messy. :)

> What will you propose next?  A registry?

Nah, we have to get X into the kernel before that can happen.

> # people want to use NetBSD simply because they want to use NetBSD. The
> # full likelihood is that the system will become nicer and nicer to use,
> # while always allowing space for folks who want the traditional methods.
>
> But I don't see that virc/rc.conf.d are allowing said space for said folks.

Haven't the discussions thus far mostly pointed at a situation where folks
who want the distributed config stuff can have it, whereas folks who want
the monolithic rc.conf can have it?

It seems to me that the system I'm picturing would make it almost
trivially easy to switch back and forth between the two types, thus
having the best of both worlds. I mean, if virc reconstitutes rc.conf
for purposes of editing, presumably it can save it that way, and
presumably, since it can split rc.conf back out, it can take a monolithic
rc.conf and do that to it. At least, this is what I hope will happen...

Of course, this would mean that you couldn't assume that a particular
system was in "split" mode when spraying around a new configuration
file, and it would probably be good to have one or the other as a
default... Hm.

> The attitude presented thus far has been "This is the new way; if you like
> the old way, you can just kiss off and be a dinosaur somewhere else."

Yeah, but it's NetBSD. The right thing seems to happen. For instance,
I'm not particularly a fan of user{add,del,punish}, but I don't feel in
the slightest bit tempted to use 'em, whereas folks who want them can
pretend there was never any other way. It's all good. The same thing
will happen with this, one way or the other. Folks yapping loudly will
guarantee that it happens. :)

> BSD: Resistance is futile!  You will be supported.

See? Even your .signature agrees with me.

--
Mason Loring Bliss             (( "In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams
mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us  )) build  their nest  with fragments  dropped