Subject: RE: quake data files: machine-dependent?
To: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Rob Mohr <rob.mohr@cat-1.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/17/2000 14:52:36
The data files are machine-independant.  Note however:

"All of the Quake data files remain copyrighted and licensed under the
original terms, so you cannot redistribute data from the original game, but
if
you do a true total conversion, you can create a standalone game based on
this code.

I will see about having the license changed on the shareware episode of
quake to allow it to be duplicated more freely (for linux distributions, for
example), but I can't give a timeframe for it. You can still download one of
the original quake demos and use that data with the code, but there are
restrictions on the redistribution of the demo data.

John Carmack
Id Software"

See the documentation supplied with the source code for more details on the
extent of the GPL for this code.

Rob Mohr