Subject: make update
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/12/2000 08:00:07
Hello,

I like the package system.

BUT upgrading packages always drives me grazy.  Yesterday, I wanted to install
AbiWord.  Fine.  My libpng was too old, pkgsrc wanted to upgrade it.  Fine.
libpng is used by KDE, xv, gimp, etc.  All of these were deinstalled.  Now
KDE fails to build (missing Qt header file or some such) and I'm left with
a system without ANY graphics package using libpng.

And all I wanted to do was to install AbiWord, not to upgrade or delete
anything.  I guess it'll take the whole day to get everything back in
order again..

Isn't there a better way to handle the dependencies?  The current way has
never worked well for me.  For a small change (like installing a new
program) I usually have to delete all pkgs and reinstall everything.

I guess this problem only occurs when you keep updating your pkgsrc tree,
but isn't that what everyone does (and SHOULD do)?

  -jm