Subject: Re: How to recompute the md5 of a file in installed pkg
To: None <johnr@imageworks.com>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/11/2000 01:08:07
> I have a package with an install procedure which creates
> the usual mtree-like database in /var/db/pkg for the package.
> There is one configuration file within the installed /usr/pkg
> tree which I modify AFTER the install.
>
> At that point, the checksum for that file fails (pkg_admin check),
> and I can't even remove it automatically thru pkg_delete.
>
> Is there a way to UPDATE that file's checksum in /var/db/pkg
> after the install?

The normal sequence of events is that the files are installed into
their target directories, and the PLIST is processed by pkg_create(1)
to work out which files you've specified as directories, which are
symlinks, and which have to have md5 checksums made. I'm not clear
from your description when you actually want to modify the
configuration file, but if it's done before pkg_create is run, then
everything should be OK.

If that's not the case, I suspect that you should be looking at
using @exec and @unexec directives within the PLIST, and forget
about maintaining a checksum on the file.

Take care,
Alistair