Subject: Re: location of man pages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/06/2000 23:24:25
[ On Saturday, May 6, 2000 at 09:17:03 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: location of man pages
>
> But X11 doesn't use share either for man pages.

That's because X11 has both a different heritage, and an earlier
history, than the current base system.  The concept of "share" (and
"var") came along later -- and of course the former was meant for
architecture-independent files (I don't know how or why the misleading
word "text" crept into hier(7) though).  If manual pages don't meet the
requirements for going into "share" then it's impossible for anything to
do so!  ;-)

> I look at the base system as a small anomaly, and it doesn't bug me.

There were a *ton* of things that changed (for the better) with the
cleanup of hier(7) after the advent of network accessible filesystems.
Don't try to compare apples and organges here!

As the V7 hier(7) clearly states:

    BUGS
           The position of files is subject to change without notice.

> MANPATH=/usr/{share,X11,local}/man
>
> Short, sweet and to the point.  It ain't broke.  Don't fix it.

What was that about a solution looking for a problem again!?!?!?

Things like MANPATH, at least for this purpose, are just that.

--
							Greg A. Woods