Subject: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/02/2000 20:09:18
[qt-2.1.0]
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu said:
> is this version sufficiently non-compatible with qt-2.0.2 to warrant
> not just replacing qt-2.0.2?

The major version number didn't change, so it might be quite compatible
to 2.0.x... theoretically.
I've learnt however while porting some applications from 1.44 to 2.0
that it is not always straightforward to find out which parts of an
application have to be changed from reading Troll's change notes.
I even found that it is not enough to make a program compile - there
are eg changes of virtual member functions which don't show up unless
one actually uses the mouse button in question.
So I'd be extremely cautious as long as one doesn't know the qt
application really very well.
And since there are at least two qt interface builders (qtarch, ebuilder)
which potentially dig rather deeply into qt internals, I wouldn't take
the risk. Further, qt-2.1 is qt 2.1.0, ie a -dot-zero release, so I
wouldn't even consider using it in production software until .1 or .2.

best regards
Matthias