Subject: Re: make makesum
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2000 04:51:00
On Sun, 2 Apr 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:

> after updating a package I got in the habbit of issuing
>
> make makesum
>
> which will update the checksum in files/md5.
>
> However, the problem with this is that it overwrites the RCS header line
> by replacing it with $NetBSD$ everytime this is done, contrary to
>
> make makepatchsum
>
> that will preserve the RCS header line...

I did that to keep folks (including me) from committing patch-sum
files with no change whatsoever. I don't see the need for it with the
md5 calculation--myself, I only run "make makesum" when I need to
download a new distfile, and there's always the "checksum" target--but
I wouldn't object if you want to put it in.