Subject: Re: openssh on 1.4.2/m68k
To: Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@cs.uni-bonn.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/30/2000 10:46:41
On Wed, Mar 29, 2000 at 11:52:00PM +0100, Lars Hecking wrote:

> > >  Say, I have a ppp connection and start ssh from an xterm. X freezes
> > >  for about 25 seconds, and when it comes back, the load is > 2.0.
> > >  This is sort of extreme.
> [...]
> > >  Any explanations? Plain telnet doesn't do this. openssl is built
> > >  with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer by default, could this cause problems
> > >  on m68k?
>
>  That's not the problem. I recompiled with -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer, no change.
>
> > I bet the real difference turns out to be in ssh's Big Number library
> > (in m68k assembly) vs. openssl's m68k assembly. It might be worth
> > looking into. In the meantime, try blowfish instead of 3des.
>
>  I'm using blowfish right now. Down to 24 seconds :-/
>
>  Maybe that 68040 cache related fix in 1.4.2 wasn't such a great idea
>  after all ...

Um, the only difference this should make is _incorrect_ vs. _fast_ results.
Of course, there could be a bug in there.

I guess this is unrelated:

- a fast pentium user complained, too, although "slow" is faster there

- the only other complaint about 68040 speed was about _exec()_ speed...
  I hope openss*() does not exec dc to do each of the calculations ;-)

I guess I can do some tests with different OS versions later this week. If
I survive this cold, that is.

Regards,
	-is

--
 * Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from
   smart people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of