Subject: Re: openssh on 1.4.2/m68k
To: Lars Hecking <lhecking@nmrc.ucc.ie>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/28/2000 19:41:40
On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Lars Hecking wrote:

>  I am seeing some weird behaviour with the openssh-1.2.3 package I built
>  from pkgsrc.
>
>  A3000, 040/28MHz, trimmed down 1.4.2 kernel, /dev/urandom support.
>
>  Say, I have a ppp connection and start ssh from an xterm. X freezes
>  for about 25 seconds, and when it comes back, the load is > 2.0.
>  This is sort of extreme.

Yikes! On the 840AV, 040/40MHz, I did notice that openssh is noticably
slower than ssh. The mouse doesn't respond for a few seconds, but only
a few. That's with both using the blowfish cipher. With openssh's
default of triple-des, vs. ssh's des, it could well be much worse.

>  Any explanations? Plain telnet doesn't do this. openssl is built
>  with -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer by default, could this cause problems
>  on m68k?

I bet the real difference turns out to be in ssh's Big Number library
(in m68k assembly) vs. openssl's m68k assembly. It might be worth
looking into. In the meantime, try blowfish instead of 3des.