Subject: Re: Using (or Not Using) DESTDIR
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2000 14:18:17
On Sat, 25 Mar 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> So why not wrap it with ".ifndef (BSD_PKG_MK)"...

Because that was never documented anywhere, and I had no idea it
existed? Certainly you don't expect that everyone out there building
NetBSD and just ocasionally using pkgsrc to install a program once
in a while is going to be intimately familiar with over three
thousand lines of makefile source.

> or better, ".if make(release)"

Now you show your ignorance of the makefiles you don't frequently
work with. :-) This ignores all of the following targets which also
use DESTDIR: snapshot, install, distribution, distrib-dirs, build.
(This is only a partial list, but includes the ones most frequently
used on the make command line.)

This leads me to believe that we should push pkgsrc away from using
/etc/mk.conf entirely, for the following reasons:

1. I don't believe that most people working on the main tree are
also keeping careful track of the makefile changes, additions, etc.
in pkgsrc and updating pkgsrc/mk/mk.conf.example with their own
changes for src.

2. Due to the above, we're inevitably going to run in to collisions
and other odd behaviour.

3. It doesn't make sense to distribute the makefile settings for
src with pkgsrc; the example /etc/mk.conf stuff (at least as far
as src is concerned) should be in /usr/share/mk, with the other
related documentation and the makefiles themselves, not pkgsrc/mk.

4. It's an easy matter to change the pkgsrc build system to use a
mk/mk.conf rather than /etc/mk.conf. (This is very difficult to do
for the src build system, as the current assumption--for the most
part--is that you can check out just one program and build it
successfully.)

What do you think? I don't see any reason for forcing the build
variables for src and pkgsrc together, since they really don't
share much in common.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
Human speech is like a cracked tin kettle, on which we hammer out tunes