Subject: Re: kdevelop-20000322
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2000 16:32:25
mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote
> > > What naming convention do you use on the qt-2 stuff  - libqt2 and
> > > moc2? If so than libqt1 and libqt2 can co-exist by use of softlinks.
> > > The problem then are the header files, but since there are
> > > only a few apps using qt-2 right now (well when compared with all the
> > > KDE stuff) wouldn't it be easier to supply the --with-qt-includes
> > > argument for those at compile time?
> >
> > I haven't gotten to updating the qt pkg to 2.0.2 yet, but it appears that
> > the default names are moc,libqt, and include/qt/.  Thats really what
> > started this headache.  Qt-2 isn't backwards compatible with Qt-1 and it
> > naming clashes making coexistence rough at best....
>

> well, its ugly, but it looks like at least some of the configure scripts
> would accept
>   --with-qt-dir=${PREFIX}/qt1
> or
>   --with-qt-dir=${PREFIX}/qt2
>
> then it looks in ${PREFIX}/qt1/{bin,lib,include} or
>  ${PREFIX}/qt2/{bin,lib,include} repspectively.
>
> Its ugly in that in violates hier(7), but nice in that its relatively easy
> to control which Qt a pkg picks up, well at least for the autoconf'ed ones
> which seems to include KDE.

The following URL discusses the co-existence of qt1 and qt2...

http://www.trolltech.com/faq/qt1x-2x-coexist.html

Personally, I feel that it wouldn't hurt to break the hier(7) rules
temporarily, if it helped to overcome the transitional problems...

It may still take several months until the official release
of KDE-2 - see http://www.kde.org/news_dyn.html#953871946 and there
are a lot of KDE applications and hence users who depend on qt-1.44.

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes