Subject: Using (or Not Using) DESTDIR
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/25/2000 16:00:11
Can we PLEASE change pkgsrc so that it uses a different DESTDIR
from our /usr/src build system? I should think it's very common
amongst those who do frequent builds (say, for snapshots) to want
to put DESTDIR in /etc/mk.conf. But has f*cked me time and time
again because any time I need to add an extra little utility to my
system because a) the utility doesn't get added to my system, and
b) it contamintates the snapshot I was building. This sort of thing
will eventually (if it hasn't already) result in people distributing
contaminated snapshots and the like.

Since stuff built under pkgsrc is never distributed bundled with
stuff built under src, they should not install to the same place.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   917 532 4208   http://www.netbsd.org
      «Quand on veut un mouton, c'est la preuve qu'on existe.»