Subject: Re: update all, docs, binary pkgs, etc questions
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2000 13:29:28
On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> On 23 Mar 2000, Mario Kemper wrote:
>
> # Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:
> #
> # > > 5)  Why is it that when I downloaded a current pkgsrc and I build
> # > >     I need a more recent pkgtools?  I expected that current pkgtools
> # > >     would be integrated into the current pkgsrc, at least around the
> # > >     time of a new release (1.4.2).
> # >
> # > The pkgtools are binaries, so why would they be included with pkgsrc?
> # >
> # Aren't they in pkgsrc/pkgtools for the people who don't follow -current?

pkgsrc/pkgtools/pkg_install contains the hooks to download, build, and
install pkg_install, just like any other package. If you neglect to do
that, you're told, "Your pkgtools are out of date".

> I think he meant to say "I expected that current pkgtools would be
> integrated into the current _system_, at least around the time of a new
> release (1.4.2)."  At least that's what would make sense.

But they are! If the poster had upgraded to 1.4.2 _and_ current
pkgsrc, he would not have seen the message referred to.

Perhaps that message is a little confusing. It might be better to say,
"Please update your pkgtools/pkg_install package".