Subject: Re: kdevelop-current
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/18/2000 00:37:18
Hallo Hubert,

many thanks for your time for testing and feedback...

Hubert Feyrer wrote
> OK:
>
>  * Depend on autconf, autoheader, automake - kdevelop cries for it when
>    making a new project :)

Not a problem.... easy fix... ;-) These are things which are
easily overlooked... thanks for reminding me.

>  * Nice splash screen :-)
>  * would be nice if Qt documentation would be available too
>    (generate a seperate pkg, and depend on it)

You don't need a seperate package as the documentation is installed
with qt-1.44. Its just a matter of telling where to find it.
On most NetBSD systems, this should be in /usr/X11R6/share/doc/qt/html

I could preset this using the --with-qtdoc-dir=DIR configure argument,
but on my system this wasn't necessary.

>  * When generating the search-database ("Suchdatenbank erstellen..."), I
>    get a message that the path to KDE documentation is not set properly
>    (I get this even when un-marking the Qt-Docs)

Hmmm, I use the english version and hence can't follow you here... never
had a problem with this.

Just extract your kdelibs sources from the packages collection and use
the following path in kdevelop setup:

/usr/pkgsrc/x11/kdelibs/work/kdelibs-1.1.2 (or whatever).

I am now working on kdelibdocs which is a seperate package containing
up-to-date documentation of the entire range of kde libraries...

>  * Would be nice if generated files would have a BSD header by default, no
>    GPL

We can't do this, since this programm is covered by the GPL license.

>  * When running a "hello world" C example, the compile runs fine, but
>    when running, a window opens and immediately closes again. The
>    output given on the console looks ok:
> 	EXEC:konsole -e tcsh -c './kdt;echo "
> 	Dr_cken Sie Eingabe um fortzufahren";$<'

This is a kdevelop issue and not part of the packages system. To my
knowledge, this behaviour is the same across all platforms, Linux,
*BSD, Solaris....

> I need to play more, but so far it looks not bad. Should we finally have
> something that we can give to people for writing _software_, not fighting
> with the system?

As mentioned before, I am using it to do my study projects and it
hasn't failed me sofar. But then, my projects aren't all that complex.
I guess a real test would be to recompile KDevelop using its own
project file and see if it succeeds... 8-)

KDE is changing rapidly and it is hard to keep up with it,
Nevertheless, I love it.... ;-)

cheerio Berndt
--
Name    : Berndt Josef Wulf            | +++ With BSD on Packet Radio +++
E-Mail  : wulf@ping.net.au             |    tfkiss, tnt, dpbox, wampes