Subject: Re: building package tarball without installing
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/16/2000 01:29:38
[ On Wednesday, March 15, 2000 at 16:36:06 (-0500), Matthew Orgass wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: building package tarball without installing
>
>   OpenBSD recently added the necessary magic to their ports tree and is in
> the process of converting all ports to use it.  It is called FAKE and
> ports that use it always create a package first and install from that.
> IMO, this would be a great thing for NetBSD to adopt.  See OpenBSD
> ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk v 1.216 or later for how they do this.

Now that's a DAMN good idea!  The sooner pkgsrc authors and maintainers
are *forced* to deal with binary installs up-front, the better, I say!

I had originally thought it might be too much effort to do that way, but
perhaps the general cleanliness of most packages has improved in the
last 10 years or so since I first formed that impression.  Some still
suck relativley hard in this respect of course (eg. "Cricket" which I
recently tried porting from FreeBSD).

--
							Greg A. Woods