Subject: Re: building package tarball without installing
To: Mirian Crzig Lennox <mirian@cosmic.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/15/2000 16:36:06
On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:

> Is it possible to build a binary package tarball without actually
> installing it?
>
> Since 'make package' implies 'make install', I figured that maybe I
> could do something like
>         make DESTDIR=/usr/local/tmp
>
> Unfortunately, this results in a package that wants to install
> under /usr/local/tmp/usr/pkg instead of /usr/pkg.  This can be
> circumvented with the -p option to pkg_add, but yuck.

  OpenBSD recently added the necessary magic to their ports tree and is in
the process of converting all ports to use it.  It is called FAKE and
ports that use it always create a package first and install from that.
IMO, this would be a great thing for NetBSD to adopt.  See OpenBSD
ports/infrastructure/mk/bsd.port.mk v 1.216 or later for how they do this.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net