Subject: Re: building package tarball without installing
To: None <>
From: Mirian Crzig Lennox <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2000 13:24:44
Hubert Feyrer <> writes:
> > On Mon, 13 Mar 2000, Mirian Crzig Lennox wrote:
> > Since 'make package' implies 'make install', I figured that maybe I
> > could do something like
> >       make DESTDIR=/usr/local/tmp
> >
> > Unfortunately, this results in a package that wants to install
> > under /usr/local/tmp/usr/pkg instead of /usr/pkg.  This can be
> > circumvented with the -p option to pkg_add, but yuck.
> try this at, line 591:
> .if defined(DESTDIR)
> PKG_ARGS+=              -p ${PREFIX:S,${DESTDIR}/,,}
> .else
> PKG_ARGS+=              -p ${PREFIX}
> .endif
> PKG_ARGS+=               -P "`${MAKE} package-depends PACKAGE_DEPENDS_QUICK=true|sort -u`"
> Might be worth adding... let me know if this improves things for you!

Slightly.  Now pkg_create can't create the package because it can't
find the files.
However, it does point me in the right direction.  Thanks!

So, it seems like building a package without installing it is not something
which is typically done under the NetBSD package system.  I guess my next
question is: would this be a desirable feature for people other than myself
to have?