Subject: Re: questions on package system
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2000 12:37:04
On Sat, Mar 11, 2000 at 01:49:52AM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, John Refling wrote:
> > 1. Is there a way to rename one fetched file, so that it
> >    will be stored in the distfiles with the new name?
> >    The original name is too generic.  The package system
> >    should recognize the two names interchangeably.
> >    Unfortunately, there are many files to be fetched, but
> >    I only need to rename one!
>
> post-fetch:
> 	ln ${DISTDIR}/foo ${DISTDIR}/bar

That could cause a problem. If the /foo name is too generic,
it might be used by another package, which will then get upset
when it doesn't match the MD5 checksum for the file the other
package wants. Better to use a DIST_SUBDIR I think.

> > 3. Is there recommended way to test for X installed on the
> >    build target in the Makefile?
>
> USE_X11=yes

That says the package uses X. To test for X - (For a package
that builds both text and gui mode apps?) I don't see
a canonical example. How about this?

.if exists (${X11BASE})

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Mastery of UNIX, like
mastery of language, offers real freedom. The price of freedom is always dear,