Subject: Re: questions on package system
To: John Refling <johnr@imageworks.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2000 01:49:52
On Fri, 10 Mar 2000, John Refling wrote:
> 1. Is there a way to rename one fetched file, so that it
>    will be stored in the distfiles with the new name?
>    The original name is too generic.  The package system
>    should recognize the two names interchangeably.
>    Unfortunately, there are many files to be fetched, but
>    I only need to rename one!

post-fetch:
	ln ${DISTDIR}/foo ${DISTDIR}/bar

> 2. Currently, all files go to /usr/pkg/{bin,lib,share}, etc.
>    In some cases (maybe the package is huge, or conflicts
>    with other packages).  Is there some acceptible way to
>    separate some of these huge packages into their own tree,
>    eg, /usr/pkg/zyx/{bin,lib,share}, or is this discouraged?
>    [I know HOW to do it, just wondering if we ARE doing it]

Yes we do it, and yes it is discouraged. Strongly.
But for some things you can't do better. See pthreads (maybe other threads
stuff), glunix, JDK, ...

> 3. Is there recommended way to test for X installed on the
>    build target in the Makefile?

USE_X11=yes

> 4. Is there a way to have a local package tree, ie, stuff
>    that I'm working on that is not of interest to others,
>    but of course depends on things in the main tree?  Now
>    I use links into the main tree for the mk dir and other
>    dependencies.  This is error prone.

mkdir pkgsrc/test, and put things in there, or put it into
pkgsrc/somecat/foopkg.work (i.e. use the final dir, but attach a ".work".
This is what I do.

> 5. Is is possible to cvs/sup thru a firewall?  I have
>    ftp_proxy and http_proxy set, and can ftp and use lynx,
>    etc, but I think that's it.

I don't know which Port sup uses. For cvs via ssh, you need Port 22 opened
in your firewall, for rsh (which is probably possible too) and pserver
(dunno if we support that at all), I don't know the ports offhands.
In any case you need to talk to your firewall admin. Shouldn't be too much
of a problem, given that you want to make outbound connects.

  - Hubert

--
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"