Subject: Re: packages build (from current-users)
To: Tom Javen <tomja@InnoTrac.fi>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2000 13:18:41
On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 01:09:54PM +0200, Tom Javen wrote:

> I already tried to nfs export the pkgsrc and do the compilations
> on my server and tried to do just 'make install' on the workstations
> but it didn't work well.

I have tried this, too, and found it doesn't work.  I believe one problem
is that the pkgsrc system creates "flag" files in the package's work
directory, including ".install_done".  When trying "make install" on
another machine, pkgsrc system finds this "flag" and thinks the package
has already been installed.

I wonder why this check is done in the first place - shouldn't the
install procedure check /var/db/pkg instead?  This would allow installing
the same package on multiple machines using an NFS mounted pkg tree.

  -jm