Subject: Re: packages build (from current-users)
To: Alistair G. Crooks <>
From: Tom Javen <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2000 13:09:54
On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Alistair G. Crooks wrote:

> > >   You cannot create a package tar ball without installing the package
> > > first.  However, you can set LOCALBASE to something other than your
> > > usual installation location (/usr/pkg, by default).  This should at
> > > least work for non-X11 packages.  For X11 packages you'd have to change
> > > X11BASE, but for this to work, you probably need a full X11 installation
> > > there first.
> > Yes , but the real problem is in /var/db/pkg which is used to check
> > if the package already exists. Setting LOCALBASE does not change this
> > behaviour.
> If you want to put the "database" files somewhere other than /var/db/pkg,
> set the environment variable: PKG_DBDIR. I know some people who keep all
> their "database" files under ${LOCALBASE}. Each to their own.
maybe I'll try this in my build script.

> > cross compilation of packages is maybe a bit difficult if you
> > insist on installing before making the tarball.
> pkgsrc is not set up for cross-compilation - most of the GNU
> configure scripts make a wild attempt to guess whether cross-compilation
> is taking place, but the configure scripts themselves make far too
> many assumptions about the host machine. I wouldn't like to think
> what imake would do if it was handed something for cross-compilation.
> pkgsrc itself makes a few assumptions which it probably shouldn't.

No , I'm not trying to crosscompile . I just want to have my server
generate package-tarballs instead of compiling on every workstation.

I already tried to nfs export the pkgsrc and do the compilations
on my server and tried to do just 'make install' on the workstations
but it didn't work well.

Tom Javen                    |   Innotrac Diagnostics Oy
email  |   Turku
phone +358-2-2784041         |   Finland
gsm   +358-40-5860532        |   phone +358-2-2784000