Subject: new BUILD_DEPENDS semantics, continued
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Hubert Feyrer <feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2000 05:40:37
I've investigated more into changing the semantics of BUILD_DEPENDS to
match these of DEPENDS, and done most of the work. The patch at
http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/bsd.pkg.mk-newBUILD_DEPENDSsyntax.patch2
includes that. There are a few packages that were not in a state to
convert them easily, these are:

 graphics/Mesa-glx
 graphics/rayshade
 graphics/urt
 japanese/vfghostscript5
 mbone/nte
 mbone/vat
 net/ppp-mppe
 plan9/9term
 print/ghostscript5

These Packages access private parts of other pkgs' build process, which
should be fixed to not do so, and use the installed parts instead. As a
temporary solution until all these pkgs are fixed, I suggest that we
rename the BUILD_DEPENDS target in them to OLD_BUILD_DEPENDS, rename the
it in bsd.pkg.mk too, and as soon as these pkgs are fixed, remove
OLD_BUILD_DEPENDS. That way, we can switch over to the new BUILD_DEPENDS
form soon.

Comments? (No patch yet - shouldn't be too hard)

 - Hubert

--
Microsoft: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux:     "Where do you want to be tomorrow?"