Subject: Re: removing RUN_DEPENDS
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/27/2000 21:45:49
On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> We've deprecated RUN_DEPENDS for quite some time now (given that it's
> functually equivalent to DEPENDS), is there a reason not to remove the
> code from bsd.pkg.mk?
>
> See http://www.feyrer.de/Misc/bsd.pkg.mk-removeRUN_DEPENDS.patch for a
> diff to remove everything related to RUN_DEPENDS (may also speed things up
> a bit by saving some "make" calls :-)
>
> Let me know if you have any objections or i'm missing something obvious!

I would like to see RUN_DEPENDS revived. If done properly, you could
upgrade, say, python, without unecessarily reinstalling every package
that is only a python script.

On that note, I'm not sure I like your last change to the update
target, concerning BUILD_DEPENDS. Why are we rebuilding and
reinstalling "gmake" everytime we update a package that needs it? This
is a problem on the slower machines (such as mac68k), that take a few
minutes just to install and register a package, and on top of that, it
strikes me as completely unnecessary.