Subject: Re: Local package mods
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Aaron Bamford <sab@zeekuschrist.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/26/2000 17:04:42
On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:
> > > My question is this.  Is there a mechanism to include local modifications
> > > to packages in the package system and if not, is there any interest in
> > > setting something like that up?
> >
> > There's the concept of setting SITE_SPECIFIC_PKGS, HOST_SPECIFIC_PKGS,
> > GROUP_SPECIFIC_PKGS and USER_SPECIFIC_PKGS in /etc/mk.conf, see
> > pkgsrc/Makefile. Just drop your pkg in pkgsrc/local/foo, and add all the
> > pkgs you want to one of the variables, including local/foo.
<snip>
> My problem is local mods within a package.  Let me illustrate with my
> exact problem.
<snip>

i also think it would be a good idea, perhaps a site wants local patches
maybe to set defaults etc, or it has a policy of monitoring file additions
which would have to happen after extract etc. Normaly i just add patches
or .post-* tags to the makefile but it would be nice if there was some way
of having a local config/Makefile for a package that runs after the main
Makefiles .post-* rules. Another advantage to seperating that into another
file is CVS updates wont overwrite your makefile meening you have to
readd the lines each time the makefiles updated. (one way to do this might
be a patch to the pkgs Makefile rather than a seperate file? but i think a
Makefile.local which is used by Makefile if it exists would be the best
allround solution. Im not sure how make would handle the targets, maybe
the local targets would have to have a differnt name, perhaps
.post-*-local)

Also is there anyway to make a dependency on "pkg1 or pkg2" for example i
run afterstep but to install the pkg'ed wmdocks it depends on windowmaker.

sab.