Subject: Local package mods
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.ORG>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/25/2000 13:16:14
I love the package system but I have one small problem.  There is a
change I like to make to an existing package but I don't think it makes
sense to suggest it as a NetBSD modification since it isn't a bug fix
or something to allow it to compilebut rather an additional feature
that I like.  I have been unsuccessful getting the package owner to
incorporate my suggestion so I simply make the change locally.  That
messes up automated installs though.  I have a script that goes through
all the packages that I like for a specific system type (gateway, firewall,
web server, etc) and I always have to special case this package.

I suppose I could just create my own package starting from the existing
one but then I have to keep checking the NetBSD supplied on to see if
there are changes to copy.

My question is this.  Is there a mechanism to include local modifications
to packages in the package system and if not, is there any interest in
setting something like that up?