Subject: Re: py-postgresql package
To: None <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2000 14:49:37
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, D'Arcy J.M. Cain wrote:

> Thus spake
> > >    So the question is, why does it call cc on my system and ld on Brook's?
> > >    As I suggested, it doesn't appear to be an a.out vs. ELF thing at all.
> > now thats a good question.
> Why, thank you.  :-)
> > Also on the system where it did work, can you verify that when you do a
> > 'make' in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/py-postgresql/ that it really does call
> > 'cc' instead of 'ld' in the step:
> >
> > ld -Bshareable  pgmodule.o  -R/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -L/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -lpq
> >          -lcrypt -o
> Check it out.

argh.  well, I guess we now know 100% that sometimes 'ld' gets called and
sometimes 'cc'.

> > If in fact the working system was using 1.1 of files/, I'll go
> > ahead and fix files/ to use "-R..." instead of "-Wl,-R...."
> But then other system will break.  Can we wait until we see exactly what
> the difference is before we change it?

thats why I haven't changed it yet....   As you have confirmed that in
fact on some systems 'cc' gets called vs 'ld' I guess thats where we need
to fix it because unless thats consistent something will break.

I'll let you know if I find anything.