Subject: Re: py-postgresql package
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2000 14:13:47
On Thu, 24 Feb 2000, Brook Milligan wrote:

>    So the question is, why does it call cc on my system and ld on Brook's?
>    As I suggested, it doesn't appear to be an a.out vs. ELF thing at all.
now thats a good question.

Also on the system where it did work, can you verify that when you do a
'make' in /usr/pkgsrc/databases/py-postgresql/ that it really does call
'cc' instead of 'ld' in the step:

ld -Bshareable  pgmodule.o  -R/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -L/usr/pkg/pgsql/lib -lpq
         -lcrypt -o _pgmodule.so

> Except for the fact that I think you said your's was ELF and mine is
> a.out.  So perhaps the issue is that different make rules are being
> used depending on the ELF/a.out type?
>
>    > so this package actually doesn't currently (or at least a few days ago)
>    > build on a.out either for this reason.
>
>    I ahve empirical proof that it does.
>
> I'm confused, now.  It definitely doesn't work on my a.out system.

right, it failed on Huberts 1.4.2_ALPHA (a.out) system and my 1.4.1
(a.out) system.

I can make it work on my system by editing
/usr/pkgsrc/databases/py-postgresql/files/Setup.in

and change the "-Wl,-R..." stuff to "-R..."

On the system where it works, what version of
/usr/pkgsrc/databases/py-postgresql/files/Setup.in
do you have?

It looks like the -Wl,-R stuff was added in rev 1.2 on 2000/01/06.

If in fact the working system was using 1.1 of files/Setup.in, I'll go
ahead and fix files/Setup.in to use "-R..." instead of "-Wl,-R...."

 -Dan