Subject: Re: py-postgresql package
To: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
From: D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy@druid.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2000 12:04:40
Thus spake mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu
> > The thing that confuses me is how does -Wl work with ELF anyway.  If
> > the Python build uses ld for a.out builds why does it suddenly use cc
> > (or gcc) for ELF builds?  I am willing to go ahead and fix this as
> > described but if I don't understand exactly what is happening I'm
> > afraid to break it for some other case that hasn't been brought up.
> >
> > Or does ld accept -Wl on newer versions and perhaps it has nothing to
> > do with a.out vs. ELF.
>
> -Wl is a flag to gcc.
>
> gcc -Wl,option

Er, yes.  Hence my confusion.  See, it works on my system.  I just remade
the package and it does the following.

cc -shared  pgmodule.o  -Wl,-R/usr/pgsql/lib -L/usr/pgsql/lib -lpq -lcrypt -o _pgmodule.so

So the question is, why does it call cc on my system and ld on Brook's?
As I suggested, it doesn't appear to be an a.out vs. ELF thing at all.

> so this package actually doesn't currently (or at least a few days ago)
> build on a.out either for this reason.

I ahve empirical proof that it does.