Subject: Re: Using binary packages on different NetBSD versions.
To: David Brownlee <>
From: Bill Studenmund <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/15/2000 17:38:31
On Fri, 11 Feb 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, David Maxwell wrote:
> > No major/minor numbers were changed from 1.4 -> 1.4.x
> > Is that a rule?  I suspect I wouldn't have noticed it if it were stated, but
> > I don't recall it.
> >
> 	Its implicit in the 'no changes that break existing functionality'
> 	goal.

Actually it's not. The only requirement 'no changes that break existing
functionality' places is that a shared library not disapear. Like say we
bump the major number on a shared lib (libutil comes to mind) between
point releases (say between 1.4.2 and 1.4.3 - values chosen to not scare
anyone right now). In the new point release (1.4.3 here), there would need
to still be a shared lib with the old major number.

Bumping minor numbers would be fine, and would cover upgrades in

The reason to not change version numbers in a point release is subtly
different. It's to keep our heads from exploding. :-) It's because shared
libraries are versioned in a strictly numerical name space. I believe 1.4
shipped with libc 12.40. -current is now at 12.55. At some point -current
was at 12.41. If we bumped the -release branch shared lib number to 12.41,
unless we added all of the new routines -current ganed in 12.41 and no
more, we'd have an ambiguity. The -current -12.41 would be different from
the -release 12.41. And thus our heads might pop. :-)

> > So, that said, I can't think of any other issues with replacing a
> > 1.4 package with a 1.4.1 (etc) package.
> 	OK - I've been convinced. I'm now on the 'merge point releases
> 	into one dir' side of the fence.

I'd vote not. I'm not sure if it was reverted, but 1.4.1+ had an
lkm-breaking change. So filesystem packages would be different before and
after that change.

The change I am thinking of was to bump some counters in struct vnode. I
think we also bumped reference counters in struct route (and if we didn't,
we should). So point releases might have kernel interface changes, which
would necessitate different packages.

Take care,