Subject: Re: Using binary packages on different NetBSD versions.
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2000 00:42:42
On Thu, 10 Feb 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> Although I smell a troll, since every update to the 1.4 branch changing shlib
> versions has a commit tag of 'abs' ;-)

	That would be me just ensuring RCS tags are present :)
	(Check the logs! :)

> No major/minor numbers were changed from 1.4 -> 1.4.x
> Is that a rule?  I suspect I wouldn't have noticed it if it were stated, but
> I don't recall it.

	Its implicit in the 'no changes that break existing functionality'
	goal.

> So, that said, I can't think of any other issues with replacing a
> 1.4 package with a 1.4.1 (etc) package.

	OK - I've been convinced. I'm now on the 'merge point releases
	into one dir' side of the fence.

	What would the 1.4 dir be called, 1.4.x or 1.4?

		David/absolute