Subject: Re: Using binary packages on different NetBSD versions.
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2000 14:29:26
On Thu, Feb 10, 2000 at 04:19:56PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	I have a slight preference to keeping the current separation, as
> 	it allows people to know what has already been recompiled for
> 	1.4.1 and what is still 1.4 (and an obvious candidate for
> 	recompiling), but I'd have no strong objections to moving to
> 	1.3.x and 1.4.x - what do other people think?

There's a problem either way. Dan's comment about static libs and bug fixes
for running 1.4.y pkg on 1.4.z where y<z, or warning messages for shared
libs when y>z.

If warnings are tolerable, then to me it would make sense to keep the 1.4.x
names, but when a 1.4.1 package is generated, deprecate the 1.4 one.

If we don't want to force warnings about "lib minor version number >= X
expected", then we have to keep full sets, as far as I can tell.

(About an Amiga rendering landscapes) It's not thinking, it's being artistic!
					      - Jamie Woods