Subject: Re: Five and a half more pkgsrc questions.
To: David Maxwell , Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/08/2000 01:29:06
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>
> > > (Even if one could check it out now.)
> >
> > I suppose that's just an oversight. There's not much in there now
> > anyway--two utilities, and one (url2pkg) is also in pkgsrc.
>
> I think the othersrc files for url2pkg keep track of the file(s) which
> make up the dist file used by the url2pkg package. :-)

Yes, indeed...

and David Maxwell wrote:

> I'm working on a script to scan MASTER_SITES for newer versions,
> to highlight out-of-date packages.

> > What sort of new utility, exactly, do you have in mind?

> Something like a new sysinst, or kernel config tool, or curses/X11
> pkgsrc browser...

Of course you can submit packages for anything you write yourself.
"pkgtools" might be a reasonable category for most of those, even for
a graphical sysinst (if that's what you have in mind), since work is
underway to pkgize all the sets. I forgot who's doing that.

You could do what Hubert did with url2pkg: it started life as
privately maintained package, and now it's part of the project, with a
home in othersrc.