Subject: Re: autoconf vs.
To: Thomas Klausner <>
From: None <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/06/2000 22:52:10
On Mon, 7 Feb 2000, Thomas Klausner wrote:

> Hi!
> When autoconf tries to determine the canonical system name, it returns
> a string like
>   wiz@hiro:~> sh /usr/pkg/share/autoconf/config.guess
>   i386-unknown-netbsd1.4.2.
> while the packaging system currently uses, when GNU_CONFIGURE is set,
> (see
> which (for me) expands to
>   i386--netbsd
> What do you think about adding the version number of the OS at the end
> of MACHINE_GNU_PLATFORM, like autoconf does? Why is it a bad idea? :-)

I don't really have an opinion either way, but note that OS_VERSION is
'uname -r' which I suspect on your machine is maybe "1.4.2_ALPHA".
config.guess uses some sed magic to hack off the _ALPHA and replace it
with '.' giving "1.4.2."  I've seen 1 package (bench/hbench) which broke
under 1.4.2_ALPHA because of this mismatch.  config.guess gave 1.4.2.
and the pkg installed into something like ${PREFIX}/netbsd1.4.2. but
the PLIST expanded to ${PREFIX}/netbsd1.4.2_ALPHA.
So, heads up for that sort of problem if you dig further into this.