Subject: Re: Cross compiling kernels
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Eduardo E. Horvath <eeh@one-o.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/27/2000 08:43:53
> In <Pine.NEB.4.21.0001262147400.286-100000@oblivion.mono.org>
> abs@netbsd.org wrote:
>
> > 	Thoughts? any env additions to sakamoto's script?
>
> Which should we use STRIP or STRIPPROG?

I think we should use STRIP and change all instances of STRIPPROG to
STRIP, unless someone can explain the reason for STRIPPROG's
existence.

From the INSTALL(1) manpage:

     -s      install exec's the command strip(1) to strip binaries so that in-
             stall can be portable over a large number of systems and binary
             types.  If the environment variable STRIP is set, it is used as
             the strip(1) program.

     -S stripflags
             install passes stripflags as option arguments to strip(1).  When
             -S is used, strip(1) is invoked via the sh(1) shell, allowing a
             single -S argument be to specified to install which the shell can
             then tokenize. Normally, install invokes strip(1) directly. This
             flag implies -s.

If you ever utilize INSTALL(1) for cross-compiling anything other than
the kernel you need to set STRIP, so we may as well use that for
kernel compiles as well.  It really simplifies my /etc/mk.conf if I
don't need to define both STRIP and STRIPPROG.

Eduardo Horvath				eeh@netbsd.org
	"I need to find a pithy new quote." -- me