Subject: Re: Cross compiling kernels
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2000 12:28:42
On Wed, 26 Jan 2000, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	I notice we have a 'ppc-make' to help people cross compile bebox
> 	kernels at:
> 		ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/bebox/tools/ppc-make
>
> 	It would be nice if we could include wrappers like this into the
> 	cross packages, then we can just direct people to
> 	    - install cross/arm-netbsd
> 	    - cd /sys/arch/arm32/conf
> 	    - config GENERIC
> 	    - cd ../compile/GENERIC
> 	    - arm-make
>
> 	or similar.
>
> 	a) What do people think

I think having this as part of the cross-packages is good.

> 	b) Do we need per arch or per cpu - we only need one
> 	   cross/m68k-netbsd package, but individual amiga-make etc
> 	   wrapper that set MACHINE appropriately would be useful for
> 	   compiling userland files?

We probably need seperate ones, to get MACHINE right.

Though I would recomend a slightly different file. Mine, which look almost
the same, execute a shell rather than make. I had some sort of problems
with make, but not with a shell script.

Plus I added a little bit to make the prompt:

foo.macppc>

etc. :-)

Take care,

Bill