Subject: Re: WARNING: unknown object format
To: None <hubertf@netbsd.org>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@ftp.netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/24/2000 01:54:48
> On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > hmmm, I've must broken something in the packages system....
> >
> > WARNING: Unknown object format for installed package perl-* -
> > continuing
> >
> > Its just a warning and nothing seem to break when building the
> > packages. What is the required magic to fix this?
>
> I think WARN_NO_OBJECT_FMT should be set to "no". What this buys if it's
> "yes" is beyond me. (I've heared many people ask about it)

The "unknown object format" message is produced when a pre-requisite
package is found to be installed, but there is no OBJECT_FMT in
the build information.  This will be for packages which were
installed from a pkgsrc dated before September 29th, 1999.

You can switch off the warning message by setting WARN_NO_OBJECT_FMT
to "no" in your /etc/mk.conf file.

The check was added so that anyone who is upgrading from an a.out
system to an ELF system (like the i386 port, for example), will be
prevented from linking a DEPENDS package in a.out format (typically
libraries) with an ELF binary. (It's not that difficult a concept,
is it?)

Regards,
Alistair