Subject: Re: WARNING: Unknown object format
To: <>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/22/2000 12:18:05
On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Jan 2000, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> > hmmm, I've must broken something in the packages system....
> >
> > WARNING: Unknown object format for installed package perl-* -
> > continuing
> >
> > Its just a warning and nothing seem to break when building the
> > packages. What is the required magic to fix this?

in bsd.pkg.mk, there is a check to see the object format (a.out vs elf)
for a required installed package.  Older versions of the package system
didn't register this information, newer versions do.  So the warning just
says it couldn't tell.  In this case the older/newer date is 29th
September 1999.

> I think WARN_NO_OBJECT_FMT should be set to "no". What this buys if it's
> "yes" is beyond me. (I've heared many people ask about it)

Its so when people switch from a.out to elf the system can check to see if
a required package is elf as opposed to a previously installed a.out
package.

See the cvs log for rev 1.392, 1.393 and 1.396 of bsd.pkg.mk for more
info.

-Dan