Subject: libperl.so misnamed?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/18/2000 02:57:15
I think that the logic of perl's Configure script will yield different
names for libperl.so under ELF and a.out.  It tries to name it like
how libc is named.  Under ELF, the script finds "libc.so" so it
chooses "libperl.so".  Under a.out, the script finds "libc.so.12.xx"
so it chooses "libperl.so.5.3".

I discovered this trying to build the new perl package on
NetBSD-1.4P/i386 built from sources dated 2000-01-12.

Should I try to fix this by forcing it to name the library
"libperl.so.5.3" regardless of object format?

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/