Subject: Re: tcl split
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Matthias Drochner <M.Drochner@fz-juelich.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/2000 12:49:37
hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de said:
>  Use tcl und tk as the package names and keep tcl80 and tk80 until the
> references from the depending packages are gone.

OK for this time, but how would the transition to 8.3 or 8.4
look like then? There are enough incompatible changes
between tcl major revisions (8.0 and 8.2 _are_ major revisions
for that matter) to make upgrading of depending packages
non-trivial or at least time consuming.

The problem is even worse for qt: There is qt-2.x out for quite
a while, and people (at least me) would like to base new developments
on it. The current usable KDE depends on qt-1.x, and I'd
consider it practically impossible to get it working with 2.x.

Jave comes to mind. JDK 1.1 and 1.2 are very different things,
and for serious development it is necessary to have both
at present time.

If we don't find a way to get multiple major revisions of
libraries/toolkits/etc coexist, we are locking out ourselfs
from current developments in these areas, or force people
to bypass the pkg system.

best regards
Matthias