Subject: Re: tcl split
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/10/2000 21:23:02
* Hubert Feyrer (feyrer@rfhs8012.fh-regensburg.de) [000110 18:57]:
| On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Matthias Drochner wrote:
| > And if we don't allow coexistence: Why do we go through all this
| > trouble with include/tcl8.0/ et al. version dependant subdirs, which
| > breaks almost every automatic configuration script - for nothing?
| History reasons? Really, I don't know.

Perhaps Alistair can speak up here? I guess he did the initial import of the
package from a FreeBSD port. Perhaps he just copied and adjusted it without
much thought, too?

I would suggest: Use tcl und tk as the package names and keep tcl80 and tk80
until the references from the depending packages are gone. I will do that for
some packages (at least those I use and where I am able to see problems) and
might try for some others that seem easy to fix. But as I said before the
fixes from me will have to wait some time. But I guess it will not hurt to
have tcl and tk besides the tcl80/tk80 packages for some time, will it?

BTW: Thanks to Hubert and the rest who worked on Packages.txt. I could learn
something about writing packages when I finally looked into that file ;-)

Bye,
Bjoern

--
Bjoern Labitzke  <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
   Use PGP! (Don't you use envelopes for your letters?)